Saturday, December 26, 2009

Top 9 albums of 2009

I hesitate to do these lists because I've always felt my music tastes are a little bit behind. Not my music tastes, maybe, but at least my taste buds. You know that line in Back to the Future where Marty's just played "Johnny B. Good" and he says, "I guess you guys aren't ready for that, yet. But your kids are gonna love it"? Well, at times I feel that line is directed firmly at me.

So here's the deal: I don't know who Grizzly Bear is and I don't get why the Animal Collective album is supposed to be good, but maybe I will next year. For now, though, I'll put my already non-existent credibility on the line and deliver to you my un-checked top 9 list as is. You may not see these albums on any Pitchfork "best of" list, but this is what I was listening to in 2009:

9. The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You
8. Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
Irresistible melodies from an underrated songwriter.
7. Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
6. Lady GaGa - The Fame Monster
Not a full album of original material, but still better than most pop offerings this year.
5. 500 Days of Summer OST
4. Mayer Hawthorne - A Strange Arrangement
3. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
2. Passion Pit - Manners
The most dance-ready release this year.
1. Paolo Nutini - Sunny Side Up

No comments: