Friday, December 11, 2009

"10 things": #7 - Border wars

I hardly doubt I’m the only one who just recently realized that the Winter Olympics are coming soon, but I know for a fact I’m not the only one grateful to hear the news. The Summer Games younger, slightly less cool little brother shows up in Vancouver this year and should promise some El Niño-mild intrigue. Here are three hopes I have for the 2010 Games:

1. Lindsey Jacobellis, the snowboarder who cost herself a gold four years ago by method airing her way into infamy, repeats the trick to similar results this year before throwing an Olympic-sized tantrum in the snow.

2. Thanks to a last minute outbreak of H1N1, Wisconsin native Dan Jansen steps onto the ice to challenge Apolo Anton Ohno in the finals of the 500 m speed skating race. Jansen falls behind early but wins in stunning fashion after Apolo bafflingly begins foxtrotting near the finish line.

3. Canada finally bests the US in the overall medal count, only to discover that nobody cares.

If even one of these things happens, I’ll be a happy camper. And at the very least, we can expect the possibility of another Bode Miller meltdown.


USA! USA!

No comments: