Saturday, January 2, 2010

"10 things": #1 - Coming home

It's been a fruitful and unforgettable two and a half years in Japan, but as I prepare to head back to Tokushima after a brief trip back home on Sunday, my mind is already partially turned toward my return in July. Why am I leaving? A number of reasons, but it mostly boils down to one word: fulfillment. That, and because of the abundance of fish.

So where to next? My life in the grand non-current sense is as hazy as ever right now, but I'm thinking I may try my hand at journalism. Whether that be in New York or Marakkech or Milwaukee remains to be seen, but I do know this: wherever I move, it will be with purpose. I'm not typically one for quotes, but acknowledging both the good fortune I've had in my travels as well as the immediacy of the now, I'll begin 2010 by heeding the words of St. Augustine:

Men go abroad to admire the heights of mountains, the mighty billows of the sea, the long course of rivers, the vast compass of the ocean, and the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass themselves by.

Simply put: no wasted motion. I may only be 25, but I've learned enough to know that whatever pursuits may follow my return should hit as close to an authentic version of "me" as possible. And so I'm moving, yes, but with guidelines - never backwards, frequently looking sideways, and always with an eye inward. This may be the year I figure out what I'm supposed to do and it may not, but either way I hope it will be a time to remember.

No comments: