Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Paranormal decision making

I did something last night that I’ve never done before in my life – I turned off a scary movie. The film in question? Paranormal Activity. It freaked me out so much, in fact, that I went to bed wondering if I’d make it through the night without anything weird happening.

What did happen was that I woke up at 6 a.m. and watched Brett Favre hit the self-destruct button on yet another Super Bowl run, which is about about as “normal” as things get. Why, you might ask, would a quarterback throw across his body into traffic with time winding down and his team tied and on the outside border of field goal range? Well, because it’s Brett Favre, and because despite how brilliantly the 40-year-old played this year or how admirably he bounced back from hit after hit in last night’s game, this is what he’s become in January.

An overtime toss-up to Javon Walker against the Eagles in 2004. Another overtime pick, this time to Corey Webster, to end the NFC Championship in 2008. And now this:



I’ve been conflicted about my feelings for Favre all year. As much as I hated watching him pick apart the Packers in two games this season, it was difficult for me to just set aside what he did for Green Bay for so long and the fond memories I have of watching him play. And this morning, when I stumbled out of bed and hit play on my tape, I sincerely wanted him to win. Not anymore. There may never be a second Super Bowl victory for Brett Favre, but at this point I just don’t care anymore. I can’t.

Sorry Brett. You may not have lost this one on your own, but you certainly had it in your hands. Again.

No comments: