Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stock watching

Yesterday marked the beginning of a new school year here, which for me meant a new desk and a whole mess of new teachers. While it's too early to judge this year's crop of English teachers, I have to admit I'm having a hard time adjusting to my new desk nearer the administration. Why is it so bad, you ask? Allow me to point to the LWP index:



The LWP, or "Lost Watching Potential" index, charts my ability to watch LOST during work hours. The far left part of the graph shows my LOST watching productivity during working year one, in which my desk was located in a far back corner of the staff room. The graph then dips as I was moved to a partially obstructed but high traffic seat next to the school lunch table last year, before finally taking a nose dive with this most current move to the front of the room.

Fair? Well that depends on who you ask. On one hand, one could argue that perhaps watching LOST is not the best use of one's time on the clock (although one could also argue that there is, in fact, never a bad time to watch Terry O'Quinn wrangle wild boar). On the other hand, with the school's high turnover rate, I've somehow found myself somewhere near the middle of the in-house seniority scale, which you'd think would land me a more choice desk location.

This little move may prove more productive in the long run, but it's guaranteed to be a whole lot less awesome.

No comments: