Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ouch.

Well, I think I get it now. After expressing my bewilderment at Packer fans incensed by Brett Favre’s jump to Minnesota and writing back in July that I thought Favre in purple would make the Packers-Vikings rivalry more fun to watch, I can now officially eat my words. I watched the Packers get beat up by the Vikings last night, and it wasn’t fun to watch at all.

The football fan in me has trouble discerning why that is. The indisputable fact – the one that both Vikings and Packers fans should be able to agree on – is that the NFL is a much more interesting league with Favre than without him. From an objective standout, watching a near 40-year-old carving up a defense and throwing bullets (not to mention blocks) downfield is exhilarating – inspiring even. But as I found out last night, watching him do that to your team, the very team he defined for so long, is flat out depressing.

I guess now I know how it feels.

No comments: