Thursday, May 29, 2008

Top 3 elementary school moments

5/29/08 edition:

1. After a brief self-introduction, I ask my new first grade students (in Japanese) if they have any questions about me. A girl in the first row raises her hand, and when I call on her, she promptly and confidently shouts "PINEAPPLE!" I tell her "good!" and move on to the next hand.

2. I walk into my sixth grade classroom only to find three separate pairs of boys sitting on each other's laps. One is facing forwards and another boy is sitting on his classmate's back and giving him a massage. Meanwhile, there is a shirtless boy in the back of the room talking to a female classmate as he changes after P.E. class. The teacher sits at her desk and reads a paper.

3. During a quiz game with the fifth graders, I call on a girl to answer only to realize that her t-shirt says "I love 69" in bold letters with a cartoon picture of robots and the phrase "kiss my ass" scrawled beneath it. The absurdity of the situation is lost on everyone but me, and after a two second break to laugh, I continue the game.

Only in the space of three class periods, and only in Japan.

No comments: