Friday, April 25, 2008

Hug a pop star day

Say what you want about pop music, but there's just something about the pop sensibility that feels right. After scouring itunes for the latest in Clear Channel goodness this past week, here's four songs that particularly struck me:

The Afters, "Never Going Back to OK"
The Afters - Never Going Back to OK - Never Going Back to OK
The chorus is a dead bull's-eye. Despite the inadvertently pejorative "Christian" band label (why this makes me wince so consistently, I'll never know), I couldn't back away. Hard-charging guitars, slick production, and soaring vocals in just the right spots.

David Cook, "Always Be My Baby"
I shouldn't have to defend this, but I will anyway. There's a reason I haven't watched American Idol in several years, but this year I think they got it right (imagine, musicians with instruments!) I may have been slightly more taken by this week's Phantom treat, but I'll go with the re-working of an insanely popular Mariah Carey song for it's infectious appeal in spite of a dramatic makeover. Kudos to Mr. Cook for the performance, and double ups to Ms.Carey for proving that good song writing is simply good song writing.

Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown, "No Air"
Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown - Jordin Sparks - No Air
As good a combination of r&b beats and pop instrumentation as you'll find. Two great young voices and an ethereal chorus that sounds like it should be reserved for a drives along an open ocean road. If only it wasn't so irresistible. And just for argument's sake, Justin Timberlake isn't the heir apparent to Michael Jackson - Chris Brown is. I'll have this song on repeat for a week.

Sara Bareilles, "Gravity"
Sara Bareilles - Little Voice - Gravity
She's like a talented Michelle Branch, and I mean that in a good way. The arrangement is right on. If you can step out of the hipster closet just long enough, this is one of the better songs you'll hear this year, right down it's record closing glory note.

No comments: