Thursday, October 25, 2007

Movember

As someone who spends a good amount of his time pondering life's more inconsquential questions, I typically prefer not to trouble others with my views on the world's weightier issues and causes. As an example, in the past week I have spent exactly zero minutes thinking about global warming, and approximately 32 minutes convincing myself that the cheese in a ham and cheese sandwich is more complement than equal part. However, every once in a while, a cause comes to my attention that I feel is worth bringing to light.

Enter Movember. Beginning November 1, I will be joining thousands of men around the world in growing a moustache to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer. Throughout the month, I will be posting pictures and updates of both the mo-growing and fundraising efforts of not only myself but also my teammates in Tokushima. In exchange, I ask only two things: 1) you'll humour me by posting your mo styling suggestions in the comments section of this blog, and 2) you'll consider sponsoring my effort by making a donation. While growing a moustache may be funny, certainly the threat of prostate cancer is not. Consider the following:

- Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America.
- In 2007, more than 218,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and more than 27,000 American men will die from the disease.

To sponsor my Mo and fight against prostate cancer, please go to http://www.movember.com/ex/donate and enter my registration number, which is 78359, and your credit card details. Or you can sponsor me by check made payable to the "Prostate Cancer Foundation," clearly marking the donation as being for my registration number: 78359. Please mail checks to: Prostate Cancer Foundation, Attn: Movember, 1250 Fourth St, Santa Monica, CA 90401.

All donations are made directly to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, which will use the funds for high-impact research to find better treatments and a cure for prostate cancer. The Prostate Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible to the full extent permitted by law.

So that's it. There will be no fundraising goals or ill-supported testimonials from me, only a sincere invitation to help me support a worthy cause while having a little fun in the process. All you have to do is think about it.

For more information about Movember and prostate cancer, visit www.movember.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some personal favorites:

http://www.wiu.edu/users/tmw108/Mustache_ChrisOldTimeyBoxing.jpg
http://www.bobandtom.com/gen3/5cover_img/mustache_record.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1140/1342792458_930f61ec6e.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1020/1341553431_60635b8fa3.jpg?v=0